Sperber Among Top Phoenix Sports Figures
Track president lauded for facility improvement, economic spark
Phoenix International Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber has been named as the No. 5 Sports Power Broker in the Phoenix area by the July 2009 issue of Sports Arizona Monthly, ranking just ahead of Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver, and Phoenix Coyotes head coach Wayne Gretzky. The magazine's look at the Valley of the Sun's most prominent sports business figures sought the top "influential professionals" who "play a role in shaping the future of sports in our community." Sperber was recognized for a number of accomplishments since his 2002 arrival in the Valley of the Sun, the most notable of which was his command of the track's bid to secure a second NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race, a vision which came to fruition in April 2005. Sports Arizona recognized Phoenix International Raceway's significant annual economic impact and facility improvements under Sperber's watch, and remarked that the growth sparked by Sperber at the track has created a "juggernaut" that is "extending to the surrounding West Valley cities that are hitching their wagons to the track to spur their own economic development." Extremely active in the community - both in business and philanthropic sectors - Sperber is an active member of Greater Phoenix Leadership (GPL), an organization dedicated to improve the greater Phoenix area and the State of Arizona by bringing together talent, resources, and leadership to create action on priority issues. He is also a member of Phoenix’s Young President’s Organization (YPO), and serves on the Arizona State University Foundation’s Board of Trustees. In his philanthropic efforts, Sperber is board president for Cy Young Award-winning pitcher Brandon Webb’s charitable "K Foundation." The online magazine can be found at www.sportsarizonaonline.com. The full list is as follows: 1. Michael Bidwill – President, Arizona Cardinals
2. John Junker – President/CEO, Fiesta Bowl/Insight Bowl
3. Derrick Hall – President/CEO, Arizona Diamondbacks
4. Redfield T. Baum – Judge, United States Bankruptcy Court
5. Bryan Sperber – President, Phoenix International Raceway
6. Ken Whisenhunt – Head Coach, Arizona Cardinals
7. Robert Sarver – Owner, Phoenix Suns/Phoenix Mercury
8. Wayne Gretzky – Managing Partner/Head Coach, Phoenix Coyotes
9. Rick Welts – President/CEO, Phoenix Suns
10. Ken Kendrick – Managing Partner, Arizona Diamondbacks
11. Jerry Colangelo – Chairman, Phoenix Suns/Chairman, USA Basketball
12. Ed Beasley – City Manager, City of Glendale
13. Josh Byrnes – Senior Vice President/General Manager, Arizona Diamondbacks
14. Lisa Love – Vice President for University Athletics, Arizona State University
15. Robert Brinton – President, Cactus League Ass'n./Executive Director, Mesa Convention & Visitors Bureau
16. Steve Nash – Guard, Phoenix Suns
17. Dana Garmany – Chairman/CEO, Troon Golf
18. John Solheim – Chairman/CEO, Karsten Manufacturing Corp.
19. The Thunderbirds – Founders, FBR Open
20. Dawn Rogers – Senior Associate Athletic Director, Arizona State University
21. Jerry Reinsdorf – Owner, Chicago Bulls/Owner, Chicago White Sox
22. Steve Kerr – President of Basketball Operations/General Manager, Phoenix Suns
23. Dennis Erickson – Head Football Coach, Arizona State University
24. Mike Connelly – Senior Vice President/General Manager, FOX Sports Arizona
25. Kurt Warner – Quarterback, Arizona Cardinals
26. Dan Bickley – Lead Columnist, The Arizona Republic/Afternoon Host, XTRA Sports 910
27. Harold Slemmer – Executive Director, Arizona Interscholastic Association
28. John Gambadoro and Mark Asher – Afternoon Hosts, Sports 620 KTAR
29. Steve Moore – President/CEO, Phoenix Convention & Visitors Bureau
30. Mike Kennedy – Chairman, Super Bowl Host Committee Tickets to all events throughout the Checker O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 Presented by Pennzoil weekend at Phoenix International Raceway are available at the newly-designed www.phoenixraceway.com or by calling 1-866-408-RACE (7223).
Related PIR News
When NASCAR embarks on its second annual West Coast Swing next March, the ideal way to experience the three-race road trip will be in an RV. Then, join the fun with serious RV owners at the Good Sam 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix International Raceway on Sunday, March 13, 2016.
Dale Earnhardt Jr., driver of the No. 88 Nationwide Chevrolet, benefitted from some smart pit stop strategy and the return of rain to win an abbreviated Quicken Loans Race for Heroes 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix International Raceway on Sunday night.
Just like last fall's NASCAR XFINITY Series race at Phoenix International Raceway, Kyle Busch, driver of the No. 54 Monster Energy Toyota, put on a dominating performance Saturday. Unlike last year, Busch got to go to Victory Lane this year.
Fans in the sold-out grandstands at Phoenix International Raceway will be treated to the thrill of the first-ever flyover by a pair of F-35 fighter jets prior to the start of the Quicken Loans Race for Heroes 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.
For the first 80 percent of Friday’s Lucas Oil 150 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Phoenix International Raceway, Timothy Peters, driver of the No. 17 Red Horse Racing Toyota, looked like he had no chance to win. But on Lap 120, the two leaders crashed into each other during a restart and took themselves out of contention, giving first place to Peters, who battled off a last lap attack to claim his first-career win at the one-mile oval in the Arizona desert.
No Events Found