Sperber Among Top Phoenix Sports Figures
Track president lauded for facility improvement, economic spark
Phoenix International Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber has been named as the No. 5 Sports Power Broker in the Phoenix area by the July 2009 issue of Sports Arizona Monthly, ranking just ahead of Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver, and Phoenix Coyotes head coach Wayne Gretzky. The magazine's look at the Valley of the Sun's most prominent sports business figures sought the top "influential professionals" who "play a role in shaping the future of sports in our community." Sperber was recognized for a number of accomplishments since his 2002 arrival in the Valley of the Sun, the most notable of which was his command of the track's bid to secure a second NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race, a vision which came to fruition in April 2005. Sports Arizona recognized Phoenix International Raceway's significant annual economic impact and facility improvements under Sperber's watch, and remarked that the growth sparked by Sperber at the track has created a "juggernaut" that is "extending to the surrounding West Valley cities that are hitching their wagons to the track to spur their own economic development." Extremely active in the community - both in business and philanthropic sectors - Sperber is an active member of Greater Phoenix Leadership (GPL), an organization dedicated to improve the greater Phoenix area and the State of Arizona by bringing together talent, resources, and leadership to create action on priority issues. He is also a member of Phoenix’s Young President’s Organization (YPO), and serves on the Arizona State University Foundation’s Board of Trustees. In his philanthropic efforts, Sperber is board president for Cy Young Award-winning pitcher Brandon Webb’s charitable "K Foundation." The online magazine can be found at www.sportsarizonaonline.com. The full list is as follows: 1. Michael Bidwill – President, Arizona Cardinals
2. John Junker – President/CEO, Fiesta Bowl/Insight Bowl
3. Derrick Hall – President/CEO, Arizona Diamondbacks
4. Redfield T. Baum – Judge, United States Bankruptcy Court
5. Bryan Sperber – President, Phoenix International Raceway
6. Ken Whisenhunt – Head Coach, Arizona Cardinals
7. Robert Sarver – Owner, Phoenix Suns/Phoenix Mercury
8. Wayne Gretzky – Managing Partner/Head Coach, Phoenix Coyotes
9. Rick Welts – President/CEO, Phoenix Suns
10. Ken Kendrick – Managing Partner, Arizona Diamondbacks
11. Jerry Colangelo – Chairman, Phoenix Suns/Chairman, USA Basketball
12. Ed Beasley – City Manager, City of Glendale
13. Josh Byrnes – Senior Vice President/General Manager, Arizona Diamondbacks
14. Lisa Love – Vice President for University Athletics, Arizona State University
15. Robert Brinton – President, Cactus League Ass'n./Executive Director, Mesa Convention & Visitors Bureau
16. Steve Nash – Guard, Phoenix Suns
17. Dana Garmany – Chairman/CEO, Troon Golf
18. John Solheim – Chairman/CEO, Karsten Manufacturing Corp.
19. The Thunderbirds – Founders, FBR Open
20. Dawn Rogers – Senior Associate Athletic Director, Arizona State University
21. Jerry Reinsdorf – Owner, Chicago Bulls/Owner, Chicago White Sox
22. Steve Kerr – President of Basketball Operations/General Manager, Phoenix Suns
23. Dennis Erickson – Head Football Coach, Arizona State University
24. Mike Connelly – Senior Vice President/General Manager, FOX Sports Arizona
25. Kurt Warner – Quarterback, Arizona Cardinals
26. Dan Bickley – Lead Columnist, The Arizona Republic/Afternoon Host, XTRA Sports 910
27. Harold Slemmer – Executive Director, Arizona Interscholastic Association
28. John Gambadoro and Mark Asher – Afternoon Hosts, Sports 620 KTAR
29. Steve Moore – President/CEO, Phoenix Convention & Visitors Bureau
30. Mike Kennedy – Chairman, Super Bowl Host Committee Tickets to all events throughout the Checker O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 Presented by Pennzoil weekend at Phoenix International Raceway are available at the newly-designed www.phoenixraceway.com or by calling 1-866-408-RACE (7223).
Related PIR News
Fans can watch as teams prepare for Phoenix Grand Prix with testing session on Feb. 27
Phoenix International Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber announced today that Kristie Maggs has been promoted to Senior Director of Consumer Marketing and Partnership Activation. Since joining PIR in July 2007, Maggs has played an integral role in the marketing efforts of two annual NASCAR Sprint Cup weekends and the upcoming Verizon Indy Car Series – growing the track’s fan base through promotional opportunities with track partners and elevating the PIR brand.
Phoenix International Raceway participated in the inaugural NASCAR West Coast Media day at the Peterson Automotive Museum in downtown Los Angeles on Wednesday. The event, which highlights the second season of back-to-back races at Las Vegas, Phoenix and Fontana, featured NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers Aric Almirola, Kurt Busch, Denny Hamlin and Brad Keselowski. In addition to the upcoming 2016 season, the drivers as well as track presidents discussed the return of “NASCAR Goes West” including the Good Sam 500 at Phoenix International Raceway on Sunday, March 13.
NASCAR star Kasey Kahne, driver of the No. 5 Great Clips Chevy SS for Hendrick Motorsports, attended Wednesday’s Phoenix Suns home game versus the Charlotte Hornets at Talking Stick Resort Arena. Kahne was in the Phoenix area to promote the start of the 2016 NASCAR season, the Daytona 500, and the Good Sam 500 at Phoenix International Raceway, which is scheduled for Sunday, March 13.
For people looking for that perfect gift for the race fan in their life, Phoenix International Raceway has extended its Black Friday and Cyber Monday special offers through the end of the week.