Sperber Among Top Phoenix Sports Figures
Track president lauded for facility improvement, economic spark
Phoenix International Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber has been named as the No. 5 Sports Power Broker in the Phoenix area by the July 2009 issue of Sports Arizona Monthly, ranking just ahead of Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver, and Phoenix Coyotes head coach Wayne Gretzky. The magazine's look at the Valley of the Sun's most prominent sports business figures sought the top "influential professionals" who "play a role in shaping the future of sports in our community." Sperber was recognized for a number of accomplishments since his 2002 arrival in the Valley of the Sun, the most notable of which was his command of the track's bid to secure a second NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race, a vision which came to fruition in April 2005. Sports Arizona recognized Phoenix International Raceway's significant annual economic impact and facility improvements under Sperber's watch, and remarked that the growth sparked by Sperber at the track has created a "juggernaut" that is "extending to the surrounding West Valley cities that are hitching their wagons to the track to spur their own economic development." Extremely active in the community - both in business and philanthropic sectors - Sperber is an active member of Greater Phoenix Leadership (GPL), an organization dedicated to improve the greater Phoenix area and the State of Arizona by bringing together talent, resources, and leadership to create action on priority issues. He is also a member of Phoenix’s Young President’s Organization (YPO), and serves on the Arizona State University Foundation’s Board of Trustees. In his philanthropic efforts, Sperber is board president for Cy Young Award-winning pitcher Brandon Webb’s charitable "K Foundation." The online magazine can be found at www.sportsarizonaonline.com. The full list is as follows: 1. Michael Bidwill – President, Arizona Cardinals
2. John Junker – President/CEO, Fiesta Bowl/Insight Bowl
3. Derrick Hall – President/CEO, Arizona Diamondbacks
4. Redfield T. Baum – Judge, United States Bankruptcy Court
5. Bryan Sperber – President, Phoenix International Raceway
6. Ken Whisenhunt – Head Coach, Arizona Cardinals
7. Robert Sarver – Owner, Phoenix Suns/Phoenix Mercury
8. Wayne Gretzky – Managing Partner/Head Coach, Phoenix Coyotes
9. Rick Welts – President/CEO, Phoenix Suns
10. Ken Kendrick – Managing Partner, Arizona Diamondbacks
11. Jerry Colangelo – Chairman, Phoenix Suns/Chairman, USA Basketball
12. Ed Beasley – City Manager, City of Glendale
13. Josh Byrnes – Senior Vice President/General Manager, Arizona Diamondbacks
14. Lisa Love – Vice President for University Athletics, Arizona State University
15. Robert Brinton – President, Cactus League Ass'n./Executive Director, Mesa Convention & Visitors Bureau
16. Steve Nash – Guard, Phoenix Suns
17. Dana Garmany – Chairman/CEO, Troon Golf
18. John Solheim – Chairman/CEO, Karsten Manufacturing Corp.
19. The Thunderbirds – Founders, FBR Open
20. Dawn Rogers – Senior Associate Athletic Director, Arizona State University
21. Jerry Reinsdorf – Owner, Chicago Bulls/Owner, Chicago White Sox
22. Steve Kerr – President of Basketball Operations/General Manager, Phoenix Suns
23. Dennis Erickson – Head Football Coach, Arizona State University
24. Mike Connelly – Senior Vice President/General Manager, FOX Sports Arizona
25. Kurt Warner – Quarterback, Arizona Cardinals
26. Dan Bickley – Lead Columnist, The Arizona Republic/Afternoon Host, XTRA Sports 910
27. Harold Slemmer – Executive Director, Arizona Interscholastic Association
28. John Gambadoro and Mark Asher – Afternoon Hosts, Sports 620 KTAR
29. Steve Moore – President/CEO, Phoenix Convention & Visitors Bureau
30. Mike Kennedy – Chairman, Super Bowl Host Committee Tickets to all events throughout the Checker O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 Presented by Pennzoil weekend at Phoenix International Raceway are available at the newly-designed www.phoenixraceway.com or by calling 1-866-408-RACE (7223).
Related PIR News
Fans will enjoy a full weekend lineup of entertainment for the Can-Am 500 race weekend at Phoenix Raceway, Nov. 11-13. This fall will feature a new post-race Phoenix Raceway After Dark show with Christopher Shayne on Friday, Nov. 11. PIR mainstays like Harry Luge and METALHEAD will return to Busch Garage all weekend long, while NASCAR’s favorite DJ Michaelis will be back to add his unique spin on driver introductions before the Can-Am 500 on Sunday, Nov. 13.
Phoenix Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber announced today that the health and beauty supplement brand youtheory® has been named the official sponsor of the Restart Zone at PIR for the Can-Am 500 race weekend on Nov. 11-13. The youtheory partnership marks the first sponsored restart zone at the track. Phoenix Raceway also welcomes youtheory as the official health supplement of the track.
Fans attending the Can-Am 500 on Sunday, Nov. 13 at Phoenix Raceway will be entertained with live music before the start of the race as multi-platinum rock group Hinder will perform a pre-race concert in the Fan Midway area at 10:30 a.m. MST.
Phoenix Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber announced today that Jennifer Staton has been named Senior Director of Partnership Sales & Marketing. Staton has been with International Speedway Corporation (“ISC”), the parent company of PIR in Daytona Beach, Fla., since 2006.
Phoenix International Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber announced Ticket Galaxy as the title sponsor of the track’s upcoming November NASCAR XFINITY Series race and as PIR’s official secondary market ticket provider. NASCAR XFINITY Series driver Daniel Suárez and Ticket Galaxy President Steve Kobelski joined Sperber for the announcement at the Hard Rock Café in Downtown Phoenix on Tuesday. The Ticket Galaxy 200 will serve as the semifinal race in the Chase for NASCAR XFINITY Series title and air on NBC Sports Network in primetime on Saturday, Nov. 12 at 5:30 p.m. local time (7:30 p.m. Eastern).