PIR ASKS FANS TO VOTE FOR TOP TRACK MOMENT
SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ marks final event before 1-mile oval undergoes repave
Phoenix International Raceway wants to hear from its fans. Before the track begins a large-scale track paving project following the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ on Feb. 27, PIR is asking its fans to vote on the most memorable NASCAR moment in the desert over the past 20 years.
PIR’s one-mile oval track was last resurfaced in 1990 and the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ will mark the final NASCAR event held on the facility’s current racing surface. Motorsports media from around the country selected the top six defining NASCAR events at PIR and now it’s time for fans to choose their top moment. The winning memory will be announced during February race week with a special acknowledgement during pre-race ceremonies for the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™.
Please see the list of NASCAR moments as selected by media and vote for your favorite at www.phoenixraceway/moments, no later than Feb. 21.
1. THE INTIMIDATOR TAKES PHOENIX – November 4, 1990: Dale Earnhardt brought the No. 3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet to PIR’s Victory Lane for the first and only time with a narrow .53-second win over Ken Schrader in the 1990 Checker 500.
2. MARTIN WINS CLOSEST RACE IN PIR HISTORY – October 31, 1993: Mark Martin won the closest Sprint Cup event in PIR history on Halloween, edging Ernie Irvan by .19 second to win the Slick 50 500.
3. HAMILTON BRINGS THE 43 BACK TO VICTORY LANE – October 27, 1996: The late Bobby Hamilton won the 1996 Dura Lube 500, taking team owner Richard Petty’s iconic No. 43 car to Victory Lane for the first time since the King’s final Sprint Cup win in 1984.
4. GORDON TIES EARNHARDT – April 21, 2007: Jeff Gordon opened the 20th season of NASCAR racing at Phoenix with a thrilling win in the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ that tied him with Dale Earnhardt on the Sprint Cup career wins list at 76. Gordon celebrated with a victory lap while holding a “3” flag out of his driver’s side window in honor of Earnhardt.
5. JOHNSON DOMINATES THE DESERT – November 15, 2009: Jimmie Johnson won his third consecutive Chase for the Sprint Cup event at Phoenix and fourth race in five tries at PIR. The win propelled Johnson to a then-record fourth consecutive Sprint Cup.
6. EDWARDS SWEEPS AWAY COMPETITION – November 14, 2010: Carl Edwards owned the November 2010 NASCAR weekend in Phoenix, setting a Sprint Cup qualifying record before sweeping both the WYPALL* 200 Nationwide Series race and the Kobalt Tools 500 Sprint Cup event. He celebrated not only with his traditional back-flip (twice), but also partied with fans in PIR’s Bryan Grandstand.
Tickets to the exciting Feb. 24-27 SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ NASCAR event weekend are available with prices starting at just $25. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.phoenixraceway.com/tickets or call 866-408-RACE (7223).
Related PIR News
Kevin Harvick did something Sunday that no driver had ever done in the 52-year history of Phoenix International Raceway. The 39-year-old from Bakersfield, Calif. scored a victory in his fourth consecutive race in the same professional series at the legendary one-mile oval in the Arizona desert, leading 224 of 312 laps to win the CampingWorld.com 500.
Daytona 500 winner Joey Logano put on a dominating display at Phoenix International Raceway in Saturday’s AXALTA Faster. Tougher. Brighter 200, the fourth race of 2015 in the NASCAR XFINITY series.
Ruben Pardo earned his first NASCAR Mexico Series win at Phoenix International Raceway in the Toyota 120 on Friday. After starting on the pole, Pardo fell as low as 12th but fought back to the front in the late stages.
Pop music sensation Tori Kelly will perform the national anthem prior to the start of the CampingWorld.com 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix International Raceway on Sunday, March 15, highlighting the pre-race festivities. Kelly’s performance will be included in the live national television broadcast of the race on FOX at 12:30 p.m. local time (3:30 p.m. Eastern).
Phoenix International Raceway is encouraging fans to prepare for race day traffic by arriving early and enjoying the full NASCAR experience during the CampingWorld.com 500 event weekend, March 13-15. In addition to the CampingWorld.com 500 on Sunday, March 15 at 12:30 p.m. PST, the race weekend at PIR will include the Axalta Faster. Tougher. Brighter. 200 NASCAR XFINITY Series race on Saturday, March 14 at 1 p.m. PST and the Toyota 120 NASCAR Mexico Series race on Friday, March 13 at 7 p.m. PST.