PIR ASKS FANS TO VOTE FOR TOP TRACK MOMENT
SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ marks final event before 1-mile oval undergoes repave
Phoenix International Raceway wants to hear from its fans. Before the track begins a large-scale track paving project following the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ on Feb. 27, PIR is asking its fans to vote on the most memorable NASCAR moment in the desert over the past 20 years.
PIR’s one-mile oval track was last resurfaced in 1990 and the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ will mark the final NASCAR event held on the facility’s current racing surface. Motorsports media from around the country selected the top six defining NASCAR events at PIR and now it’s time for fans to choose their top moment. The winning memory will be announced during February race week with a special acknowledgement during pre-race ceremonies for the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™.
Please see the list of NASCAR moments as selected by media and vote for your favorite at www.phoenixraceway/moments, no later than Feb. 21.
1. THE INTIMIDATOR TAKES PHOENIX – November 4, 1990: Dale Earnhardt brought the No. 3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet to PIR’s Victory Lane for the first and only time with a narrow .53-second win over Ken Schrader in the 1990 Checker 500.
2. MARTIN WINS CLOSEST RACE IN PIR HISTORY – October 31, 1993: Mark Martin won the closest Sprint Cup event in PIR history on Halloween, edging Ernie Irvan by .19 second to win the Slick 50 500.
3. HAMILTON BRINGS THE 43 BACK TO VICTORY LANE – October 27, 1996: The late Bobby Hamilton won the 1996 Dura Lube 500, taking team owner Richard Petty’s iconic No. 43 car to Victory Lane for the first time since the King’s final Sprint Cup win in 1984.
4. GORDON TIES EARNHARDT – April 21, 2007: Jeff Gordon opened the 20th season of NASCAR racing at Phoenix with a thrilling win in the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ that tied him with Dale Earnhardt on the Sprint Cup career wins list at 76. Gordon celebrated with a victory lap while holding a “3” flag out of his driver’s side window in honor of Earnhardt.
5. JOHNSON DOMINATES THE DESERT – November 15, 2009: Jimmie Johnson won his third consecutive Chase for the Sprint Cup event at Phoenix and fourth race in five tries at PIR. The win propelled Johnson to a then-record fourth consecutive Sprint Cup.
6. EDWARDS SWEEPS AWAY COMPETITION – November 14, 2010: Carl Edwards owned the November 2010 NASCAR weekend in Phoenix, setting a Sprint Cup qualifying record before sweeping both the WYPALL* 200 Nationwide Series race and the Kobalt Tools 500 Sprint Cup event. He celebrated not only with his traditional back-flip (twice), but also partied with fans in PIR’s Bryan Grandstand.
Tickets to the exciting Feb. 24-27 SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ NASCAR event weekend are available with prices starting at just $25. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.phoenixraceway.com/tickets or call 866-408-RACE (7223).
Related PIR News
Fans will enjoy a full weekend lineup of entertainment for the Can-Am 500 race weekend at Phoenix Raceway, Nov. 11-13. This fall will feature a new post-race Phoenix Raceway After Dark show with Christopher Shayne on Friday, Nov. 11. PIR mainstays like Harry Luge and METALHEAD will return to Busch Garage all weekend long, while NASCAR’s favorite DJ Michaelis will be back to add his unique spin on driver introductions before the Can-Am 500 on Sunday, Nov. 13.
Phoenix Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber announced today that the health and beauty supplement brand youtheory® has been named the official sponsor of the Restart Zone at PIR for the Can-Am 500 race weekend on Nov. 11-13. The youtheory partnership marks the first sponsored restart zone at the track. Phoenix Raceway also welcomes youtheory as the official health supplement of the track.
Fans attending the Can-Am 500 on Sunday, Nov. 13 at Phoenix Raceway will be entertained with live music before the start of the race as multi-platinum rock group Hinder will perform a pre-race concert in the Fan Midway area at 10:30 a.m. MST.
Phoenix Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber announced today that Jennifer Staton has been named Senior Director of Partnership Sales & Marketing. Staton has been with International Speedway Corporation (“ISC”), the parent company of PIR in Daytona Beach, Fla., since 2006.
Phoenix International Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber announced Ticket Galaxy as the title sponsor of the track’s upcoming November NASCAR XFINITY Series race and as PIR’s official secondary market ticket provider. NASCAR XFINITY Series driver Daniel Suárez and Ticket Galaxy President Steve Kobelski joined Sperber for the announcement at the Hard Rock Café in Downtown Phoenix on Tuesday. The Ticket Galaxy 200 will serve as the semifinal race in the Chase for NASCAR XFINITY Series title and air on NBC Sports Network in primetime on Saturday, Nov. 12 at 5:30 p.m. local time (7:30 p.m. Eastern).