PIR ASKS FANS TO VOTE FOR TOP TRACK MOMENT
SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ marks final event before 1-mile oval undergoes repave
Phoenix International Raceway wants to hear from its fans. Before the track begins a large-scale track paving project following the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ on Feb. 27, PIR is asking its fans to vote on the most memorable NASCAR moment in the desert over the past 20 years.
PIR’s one-mile oval track was last resurfaced in 1990 and the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ will mark the final NASCAR event held on the facility’s current racing surface. Motorsports media from around the country selected the top six defining NASCAR events at PIR and now it’s time for fans to choose their top moment. The winning memory will be announced during February race week with a special acknowledgement during pre-race ceremonies for the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™.
Please see the list of NASCAR moments as selected by media and vote for your favorite at www.phoenixraceway/moments, no later than Feb. 21.
1. THE INTIMIDATOR TAKES PHOENIX – November 4, 1990: Dale Earnhardt brought the No. 3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet to PIR’s Victory Lane for the first and only time with a narrow .53-second win over Ken Schrader in the 1990 Checker 500.
2. MARTIN WINS CLOSEST RACE IN PIR HISTORY – October 31, 1993: Mark Martin won the closest Sprint Cup event in PIR history on Halloween, edging Ernie Irvan by .19 second to win the Slick 50 500.
3. HAMILTON BRINGS THE 43 BACK TO VICTORY LANE – October 27, 1996: The late Bobby Hamilton won the 1996 Dura Lube 500, taking team owner Richard Petty’s iconic No. 43 car to Victory Lane for the first time since the King’s final Sprint Cup win in 1984.
4. GORDON TIES EARNHARDT – April 21, 2007: Jeff Gordon opened the 20th season of NASCAR racing at Phoenix with a thrilling win in the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ that tied him with Dale Earnhardt on the Sprint Cup career wins list at 76. Gordon celebrated with a victory lap while holding a “3” flag out of his driver’s side window in honor of Earnhardt.
5. JOHNSON DOMINATES THE DESERT – November 15, 2009: Jimmie Johnson won his third consecutive Chase for the Sprint Cup event at Phoenix and fourth race in five tries at PIR. The win propelled Johnson to a then-record fourth consecutive Sprint Cup.
6. EDWARDS SWEEPS AWAY COMPETITION – November 14, 2010: Carl Edwards owned the November 2010 NASCAR weekend in Phoenix, setting a Sprint Cup qualifying record before sweeping both the WYPALL* 200 Nationwide Series race and the Kobalt Tools 500 Sprint Cup event. He celebrated not only with his traditional back-flip (twice), but also partied with fans in PIR’s Bryan Grandstand.
Tickets to the exciting Feb. 24-27 SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ NASCAR event weekend are available with prices starting at just $25. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.phoenixraceway.com/tickets or call 866-408-RACE (7223).
Related PIR News
Phoenix Raceway, a subsidiary of the International Speedway Corporation, announced today that FunWall has signed a letter of intent to bring FunWall’s proprietary mobile social gaming platform to the world of motorsports. With this partnership, the track will be the first motorsports venue to offer social mobile gaming that is fully integrated into the race day experience.
Race fans attending the Camping World 500 on Sunday, March 19 at Phoenix Raceway will be treated to a performance by country music star Colt Ford before the green flag drops. The concert, which will take place on the Fan Midway area at 10:30 a.m. MST., is just one part of race-day excitement that is free to all fans with a grandstand ticket for the Camping World 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race on Sunday, March 19.
Seven-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Champion Jimmie Johnson took Governor Doug Ducey on a ride along in the No. 48 on Thursday, Feb. 16. The ride around the State Capitol in Downtown Phoenix ended with a ceremonial burnout followed by a proclamation from the Governor to celebrate “Jimmie Johnson Day” throughout the State of Arizona.
With the help of Phoenix Raceway’s “Speed King” Helio Castroneves, Phoenix Raceway officially broke ground on the Phoenix Raceway Project Powered by DC Solar today during a special ceremony at its second annual Verizon IndyCar Series “Prix View” Testing event.
Phoenix Raceway President Bryan R. Sperber announced today that the USAC Silver Crown Series will return to one of its most famous tracks in the Phoenix Copper Cup on Saturday, April 29. The series will bring their Quarter Midget division for a full day of racing action ahead of the Phoenix Grand Prix held under the lights.
No Events Found