THE INTIMIDATOR TAKES PHOENIX – November 4, 1990:
- Dale Earnhardt brought the No. 3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet to PIR’s Victory Lane for the first and only time with a narrow .53-second win over Ken Schrader in the 1990 Checker 500.
MARTIN WINS CLOSEST RACE IN PIR HISTORY – October 31, 1993:
- Mark Martin won the closest Sprint Cup event in PIR history on Halloween, edging Ernie Irvan by .19 second to win the Slick 50 500.
HAMILTON BRINGS THE 43 BACK TO VICTORY LANE – October 27, 1996:
- The late Bobby Hamilton won the 1996 Dura Lube 500, taking team owner Richard Petty’s iconic No. 43 car to Victory Lane for the first time since the King’s final Sprint Cup win in 1984.
GORDON TIES EARNHARDT – April 21, 2007
- Jeff Gordon opened the 20th season of NASCAR racing at Phoenix with a thrilling win in the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ that tied him with Dale Earnhardt on the Sprint Cup career wins list at 76. Gordon celebrated with a victory lap while holding a “3” flag out of his driver’s side window in honor of Earnhardt.
JOHNSON DOMINATES THE DESERT – November 15, 2009
- Jimmie Johnson won his third consecutive Chase for the Sprint Cup event at Phoenix and fourth race in five tries at PIR. The win propelled Johnson to a then-record fourth consecutive Sprint Cup.
EDWARDS SWEEPS AWAY COMPETITION – November 14, 2010
- Carl Edwards owned the November 2010 NASCAR weekend in Phoenix, setting a Sprint Cup qualifying record before sweeping both the WYPALL* 200 Nationwide Series race and the Kobalt Tools 500 Sprint Cup event. He celebrated not only with his traditional back-flip (twice), but also partied with fans in PIR’s Bryan Grandstand.
Thank you for voting
Thank you for participating in the vote for the greatest moments at Phoenix International Raceway.
Results of the Fan voting will be announced during Pre-Race Ceremonies at Sunday's SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™ NASCAR Sprint Cup Race.